Tuesday, January 25, 2005

This and That

Just some miscellaneous musings from this blogging beast...

Andre Agassi survived an incredible 51 aces to hang on and defeat Joachim Johansson in fourth round play at the Australian Open on Sunday. Despite giving up nearly 13 games in aces alone, the match only took four sets, three of which were decided by tie-breakers. Yes, the "old man" (in tennis terms, anyway) can still play. I grew up watching Agassi, and although I have an affinity for certain "bad boys" in sports (I was weaned on John McEnroe), it's nice to see how much he's matured as a man and a player over the course of his career. Unfortunately, Roger Federer proved to be too much in their quarterfinal match in the wee hours this morning (3:30 AM, our time).

The Tribe inked Jake Westbrook to a two-year, $7.5 million deal to avoid arbitration, with a third year option in the $5-6 million dollar range. Westbrook, now 27 years old, established himself last year in his first All-Star season by going 14-9 with a very respectable 3.38 ERA. He's always had the stuff, but now he has the confidence to go with it. Hopefully, he'll be able to continue that solid level of performance. With Sabathia, Millwood, and Westbrook in the top three in the rotation, I think the Tribe has the potential to compete in the relatively weak AL Central. Things have to fall into place, and a little luck has to be involved, but Cleveland has a nice club coming into Spring Training. Hope always springs eternal for baseball fans in February, doesn't it?!

Thankfully, the Men's US National Team has worked out its dispute with US Soccer, so we'll continue with our "A" team for World Cup qualifying. The Cup only happens once every four years, so it would really stink to see us bow out this late in the qualifying over a money-related dispute. The issue isn't resolved yet, but at least it has been put aside until after the qualifying is over. The world is starting to take notice of the US Men's team, due largely in part to the success of the MLS, and it would be a shame to see a setback caused by something as frivolous as money and egos.

On a therapeutic note, I'm just not happy with the current state of things for me. The new job is going great, but I've been lax on my Body for Life workouts and diet, and on some other issues that I won't reveal here. I don't feel real good about the direction in my life right now. I feel like I'm searching for something, but what I'm doing now just isn't providing satisfaction. We've actually started attending church more regularly, which helps, but I need peace on more than Sunday mornings. I need to get back into God's word, and make some positive changes in my life. Part of it is most likely the weather, and the fact that we're all going a bit "stir crazy" and getting on each other's nerves, but that's just the surface. I need to find happiness... with myself. It's back to the drawing board on some things for me. Again, thanks for letting me vent. I do this more for me than I do for any readers out there, but it still helps to put it in print sometimes. Hopefully, things are going well for all of you out there in internet land...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - Stop! Don't get so down on yourself. We take steps forward and we take steps back. It's okay. Sometimes you have to be stronger than that which holds you back - and yes, it takes courage and it takes guts and -- it takes strength. You have to be stronger than usual. But we all succeed in some aspects of our lives and we all fail too. (We're human, remember?) You're going to be okay - you're going to be stronger than those nasty demons that hold you back. Between your family, your friends and yourself, you're going to be fine and it WILL get better. (Note to self - follow your own advice!)

We all need direction ( some more than others ) but remember, it's the journey that is important and WHAT you learn from it. If life was easy, what would be the point? The challenge? It's all about the journey.

You also need to determine when to lead, when to follow, when to want more, and when to be content. Experience all of them...and wait it out like the rest of us.

Kevin said...

Thanks for the great advice, "anonymous" (I think I know who wrote this). You know, I was honestly just having a bad day, and expressing it helped. Part of me wanted to delete that from the blog, but hey, it's part of me, so I put it out there. It helps to hear encouragement from others that are going through this "life" thing like me!

Tomorrow's a new day, and I'll get back after it!

Kevin