Sunday, January 23, 2005

I Apologize...

Some might say I'm a born loser (like that's news to anyone); or at least I'm a true walking, talking, curse for my favorite teams. With the Browns, I have "red right 88," "the drive," and "the fumble." The Indians were the Braves only victim in what seems like a dozen World Series appearances, and they also collapsed in the 1997 World Series (the "hanging slider" from Mesa) against the Marlins. The Cavs launched Jordan's career by falling victim to "the shot." The Crew are reknowned playoff chokers. And, my Zips have been hapless since well before I became affiliated with them. The only team that I've supported that's actually won anything is the Buckeyes, on that magical January night in 2002, which has erased their futility against Michigan and in bowl games for much of my lifetime. Even that sweet victory is swimming in controversy, both for the "late" flag, and for the aftermath.

Why am I apologizing for my suffering? Well, unfortunately, my "curse" doesn't only affect my favorite teams. In games in which I really don't have much of a rooting interest, the team I'm supporting - ever so minutely - always seems to end up on the losing end. That's why I'm sorry to the Falcons fans, and to the Steelers fans. For the record, the only reason I was ever-so-slightly for the Steelers, is that I still feel the pain from the knife wound Belichump left in all of us Browns fans' backs. Sorry, but I just had to clarify. I'd hate for someone to think I actually liked the pukes from Pittsburgh to any degree.

Based upon scientific method, I can prove that the Patriots will not win their third Superbowl in four years. I absolutely hate that clown Terrel Owens, so I can't possibly want the Eagles to win. I despise Bellichump, but I do have a great deal of respect for the Patriots organization. Of the two satans playing in the Superbowl, I'd have to say I'd rather see the Patriots win it all. There you have it; the Eagles will win. Gamblers, place your bets. Patriots fans, don't take it personally. I can't help how I feel.

3 comments:

Adam Simpson said...

Kevin, since my beloved HUFC are on the point of making club history, can I ask a favour?

From 3 pm GMT to 4.45 pm GMT, could you consider the idea of being a Brentford supporter? Ta much.

Cheers,
Adam

Kevin said...

I have terrible news, Adam! Since I'm your "mate," and not affiliated with Division II English football, I can't help but want to see your team succeed!

I hope "the curse" doesn't extend over "the pond!"

Kevin

Adam Simpson said...

0-0, replay at Fortress Vic on February 12th...that'll do for me, mate.

Looks like the curse isn't keen on travelling over water.