Sunday, January 02, 2005

Addiction has a new name, indeed...

Worldwide Soccer Manager has its grip on me. I've had it since Thursday evening, and I've already logged around 10 hours of gameplay, despite leaving it home while we went to Akron for our New Year's festivities. You know you're hooked when you feel like you've just sat down to play for a bit, and you look up and see that 3 hours have passed by! Also, I found myself thinking tactics and strategy while we were enjoying New Year's. And, the manual has become required reading material when I visit the john. Yes, I'm a sick man.

With the help of some fellow aficionados, I'm starting to wrap my arms around all of the decisions and planning this game requires. Suffice to say, if you're a casual sports fan, or a joystick jockey, stay far away from this title. However, if you enjoy the other elements of sports besides gameplay, it doesn't get any deeper than WWSM 2005.

I've been "cutting my teeth" on a practice career of sorts, and failing miserably trying to guide Hartlepool United to some wins. My lack of familiarity with the players is an issue. However, for my "official" career, I'm starting out in the MLS, with designs on working my way up through the English divisions, once I develop a reputation (assuming I have some measure of success with the Crew). My ultimate goal is to manage either Fulham, or dare I say it, the evil Manchester United. There, I said it. I'm a fan of the "Red Devils." I'm a sucker for showboats like Ronaldo, and I love the consistent excellence of Giggs. I hope I don't get any hate mail for saying that.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Hey Dave,

Once again, thanks for the tip! Or, are you trying to mislead me, since I follow the "dark side?"

:)

Kevin

Adam Simpson said...

Hate mail - no, slight loss of respect - maybe :-)

Sounds like it's worth sticking with Pools for a while to make sure you don't screw up the whole MLS thing...anything in particular you'd like to know about the personnel at your disposal? If it helps, here's the starting 11 from our 0-0 draw at Barnsley on Saturday, playing a 4-4-2 - I'll list players from the left side of the pitch first, so left-centre-centre-right:

GK: Dimitrios Konstantopoulos
DEF: Hugh Robertson, Micky Nelson, Chris Westwood, Jack Ross
MID: Ritchie Humphreys, Mark Tinkler, Tony Sweeney, Eifion Williams
FW: Adam Boyd, Joel Porter

This lot are unbeaten in their last 5 so I expect I'll be watching this line up in a couple of hours time against MK Dons. Note that Eifion Williams is actually a striker, our top scorer for the last two seasons. He can do a job on the right wing but I'd sooner see him up front. Porter can also play left wing if you need him to, and Boydie started his career as a midfielder...if you need any more specifics or general info on any of the squad give me a whistle.

Cheers,
Simo (HUFC season ticket holder)

jcalvert said...

Kevin - one thing I enjoy reading about is the different off the pitch strategies that gamers employ. Now I am not talking about "experts" - you know, the ones that completely master the game and destroy all comers, being hell-bent on "beating" the game. I am talking about the likes of fans that want to have fun with the game, but not necessarily "beat" the game.

I have done a poor job of describing my experiences with the game, so I guess I should do my part. Anyway, would love to see how you go about building a winning team, or dare I say, how you go about driving a team into the ground.

BTW - last time I was in the UK I picked up Man City, and West Ham shirts for myself and the boys. I also picked up a very nice Celtics shirt for myself. I think each were 5 pounds at Lilly Whites, which is not too bad to start building an eclectic set of kits.

I still do not have a true favorite EPL team, so I just follow clubs with US players, so I guess Man Utd is not all that since Time Howard is still on the squad.