Thursday, January 13, 2005

SuperDraft

The MLS is holding it's annual "SuperDraft" tomorrow. (I wonder what's so "super" about it?) This year, there'll only be four rounds instead of six, because of an upcoming draft for the yet-to-be-announced MLS developmental league. I thought the MLS was a developmental league! Just kidding. The MLS itself has a long way to go in comparison to the top leagues around the world, but it's certainly helped developed top American players for the U.S. Men's National Team, which I believe is currently in the FIFA top 10 (at the very least, in the top 15) in the world.

Anyway, Fox Sports World is actually televising the first round of the draft. I can't imagine that programming as being much of a ratings-grabber. But, we do seem to have a fascination with drafts. It seems like all of us sports geeks carry fifteen magazines, a slide rule, hundreds of pages of web printouts, an abacus, pencils, graph paper, calculators, etc. in our briefcases to help us "prepare" for either our fantasy league drafts, or even just to watch the NFL or NBA draft. There must be something about us "stat heads" that makes us like to play dress-up General Manager, or something.

Last year, Freddy Adu was drafted first, and my Crew drafted highly-successful rookie defender Chad Marshall. Unfortunately, Columbus doesn't pick until 20th this year, due to a trade. I don't think we'll find a member of the first eleven that late in the second round.

By the way, did I mention I'm "DVR-ing" the first round of the draft?! I have to work, so I won't be able to attend the viewing party. Time to get my briefcase organized...

No comments: