Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Issues

I have issues… Most of you that know me, know that I can be a neurotic, eccentric mess at times! I'd like to claim that my eccentricity is the result of genius, but most likely, I'm just weird. Between my Xbox and my PS2, I'd say I have over forty games in my collection. However, I rarely, if ever, complete a game, and many of those titles I've barely touched. Like most of us adult gamers, time is the primary issue. But what's weird for me, is that sometimes just having the game is almost reward enough. I read about games online, view the movies and screenshots released by the publisher, pour over multiple previews and reviews from various websites, and visit many varied message boards, all to build up this internal momentum towards a certain game. Then, buying the game becomes the apex of the cycle for me. Playing it sometimes isn't as exciting as thinking about playing it, if that makes any sense (it probably doesn't, LOL). Often, after a short period of time, I'll start the cycle again towards a new game, and then end up shelving or trading in the game I just had to have not long ago.

Where am I going with this? I don't know for sure - maybe it's a cry for help! Seriously, another "resolution" for me this year is to actually play more games. (I hope my wife isn't reading this.) I vow to complete each and every game in my collection, one at a time. Upon completion, I'll either keep it if I think it will be worth playing over again, or if my kids also enjoy the title, or trade it in. It's time to reduce the collection down to a more feasible number of titles, that I play somewhat regularly. And, it's time to actually play those new games when I buy them!

5 comments:

Kevin said...

LOL Jason - So, I'm not alone! We need to start a support group, or something! Seriously, I wonder why we're like that? Maybe we're analytical by nature? I have no idea, but at least maybe I'm not quite the freak I thought I was.

Kevin said...

The ones that collect dust for me the most are the adventure games and RPG's. I still have Dragon's Lair that I'm only about 25% through! It's on my list to finish... soon!

I started my "resoultion" to finish games with MechAssault last night. I will finish the campaign (I have played this in grinder mode with my son, and online, enough to get my money's worth), and then probably pick up MA2. I think Dragon's Lair will be next for me to finish.

Kevin

Kevin said...

Yes, the 3D version... I can't play the original anymore, because I'm just so used to actually controlling Dirk, instead of timing a joystick push or button click to succeed! :)

Anonymous said...

Neurotic! Eccentric! Obsessive-Compulsive? Please, who isn't? There's no such thing as "normal" - and if there is, then "normal" is obviously "BORING!" Enjoy your games and your neuroses!

Kevin said...

Good idea, Dave, I'm just too cheap! I actually occasionally try to find a cheat on the 'net, but I rarely pick up a guide...