Wednesday, December 21, 2005

What Makes a Game Great?

To some, it might be the game's composite rating at GameRankings. For others, it might be the graphics, or ultra-realistic gameplay, or Xbox Live compatibility, or something else. For me, a game is great when I think about it constantly when I'm not able to play it. There is just something about these kind of games that challenges me, frustrates me, and rewards me to the point where I'm preoccupied with it throughout the course of the day. It inspires me to search various message boards, GameFAQs, and other websites scrounging for information to improve my approach, tactics, and strategy. Games like these make playing video games a worthwhile investment in time and money as a hobby for me.

For what it's worth, of the games I'm playing now, NCAA Football 2006, FIFA 2006, Baseball Mogul 2K6, and to some degree, Operation Flashpoint, are great games, by my above-mentioned definition. Heroes of the Pacific and Jade Empire (two of my other recent acquisitions), eh, not so much. I'm eager to get into Fight Night Round 2, but I haven't as of yet. My only problem is I don't have time to be preoccupied with so many quality titles! Oh well... the life of an employed father-gamer...

No comments: