Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Back to School

Our company provides us the opportunity to further understand the industry in which we operate by sponsoring our participation in "Insurance Education." There are many organizations in the insurance world that provide certifications, licenses, and other industry-related educational opportunities that are recognized within our business community, and to some degree, by the public at large (for example, a person who holds a Certified Financial Planner license). These courses aren't "mandatory," but they are usually good for the employee's resume' when he or she tries to ascend the company ladder. Plus, quite frankly, insurance isn't the easiest business to understand, so these courses do give employees the ability to see the "bigger picture" more clearly in relation to what they do individually, and what the company does on the whole.

Anyway, since my recent history with the company has been in technology and training, most of the extemporaneous education I completed was in relation to technology (A+ certification, MOUS certification, etc.). I really enjoyed learning this information and applying it to my position, so it wasn't very difficult for me to get motivated to study. However, now that I'm in the Life Insurance side of the business, my "industry education" is back to learning about insurance (specifically, Life insurance this time).

I'm having difficulty making time to study! Soccer season is over, so theoretically, I have more time for my leisurely pursuits. But no, I have to crank out a chapter a night to prepare for an exam in 6 days! Man, I didn't plan that very well. Plus, there are going to be some openings for a promotion at the end of the month, so I need to make sure my resume indicates that I've successfully completed some of this training, so the pressure is on to succeed. This weekend, I'm going to my parents' to celebrate Christmas, and I know that I'm getting at least three new video games. What to do, what to do!

Well, at least the test is multiple choice, er I mean, multiple "guess," in my case!

No comments: