Saturday, December 03, 2005

NCAA College Hoops 2K6 - Entry #2

I spent some more time today attempting to get my bearings both on and off the court. I do think they did a solid job with the Drills in practice mode, as I was able to get much more comfortable with dribble moves, playing defense, shooting and shot timing, and passing. My use of the "shot stick" has improved as well, as I'm trying to use it exclusively to fire up the rock. Also, I think it works quite well on defense, as it's nice not have to move my thumb to the buttons to attempt to steal or block a shot. I'm still a little "iffy" on the lack of precise player control in terms of ball-handling, but it looks like I'm just going to have to deal with the computer-controlled decision to crossover or go behind the back as I work the left stick and the right trigger. I have yet to see a spin move, which is still troubling me. That said, after a little practice, I'm really liking everything else about player control and movement, both offensively and defensively.

I spent more time in the in-game manual, and the more I read, the more impressed I am with the depth of the "Dynasty" mode in this game. Off the top of my head, I truly don't think they've missed anything. Obviously, the execution is still up in the air for me, but it's as deep as a text-sim off the court. Combine that with strong on-court play (so far), and this game has the potential to be a top level sports game! That is, assuming nothing wonky goes on with all of the depth and gameplay options. I am hearing some things that concern me a bit, but the question is are the problems going to be big enough to ruin this title for me. I hope not. Every game has quirks and mistakes, and it's up to the individual user in regard to their tolerance level. We shall see.

It wasn't clear from the manual if you could play a Dynasty game in Coach mode, so I set up a "test" dynasty to see how things work. Again, the depth is impressive, as I had to sign my assistant coaches, choose a school (I am "testing" in Career mode) modify lineups, make red-shirt decisions, recruit, and so forth up to the first game. Sure enough, when I selected to play my first game, I had the option to play or coach (you can also simulate games to speed through the season, if you like). I'm really thinking I'll be playing a "Coach mode" dynasty right along with a dynasty where I play all of the games.

I should mention that there are lots of options and sliders to work through. Hopefully, the game plays pretty good at default. If not, by the time I get around to playing it, I'm sure someone else will have figured out the perfect set of settings, which is apparently some kind of science. I'm happy that at least I have the option to customize my gameplay experience, if need be.

That's all for now. Honestly, I still have a lot to get my arms around, but I think I'll have fun doing it.

No comments: