Monday, December 05, 2005

I Can Spin Again - sort of

After poking around the GameFAQs boards for College Hoops 2K6, I did discover that you can force the dribbler to spin, using an alternate controller configuration, by holding the turbo button down and executing the "pro hop." However, the only drawback is that the player will pick up his dribble at the completion of the move. Therefore, you can't use the spin dribble to evade the defender, unless you're looking to shoot. "Alternate A" controls give you the spin move (actually, the "pro hop" move) in lieu of the option of directing another player to cut. At first, I thought I'd have to choose between the two, and frankly, I liked both options. However, "Alternate B" moves the option to direct another player to cut to the "X" button, and since I'm using the stick exclusively to shoot, this control scheme works out for me. It's all about choices, baby!

I fooled around more in Coach mode for my "test" dynasty today, and I really think I'm going to like it. I'm a veteran of the Flex offense, so naturally I chose that playbook. I'm also a big proponent of man-to-man defense, and combining that with options for the amount of pressure to apply to each player, and when to double-team each player, there's a nice level of control over how your team defends. I didn't even mention the zone and press options, which are plentiful. I really enjoy calling the shots on the fly, and trying to exploit matchups, all while watching the games from the sideline. I'm convinced I'll be running concurrent playing and coaching dynasties.

So far, I'm liking everything I see about this game, but again, I've got a long way to go...

No comments: