Monday, February 21, 2005

Takin' it to the Street

I must admit, I'm a bit of a realism snob, or a "purist," when it comes to sports games. Usually, I seek out the most "realistic" game possible, even though how accurately a game truly simulates actual human athletes competing is dubious at best. However, occasionally I relax my standards for the sake of just having fun with a sports video game, because after all, that's what it's all about, right?

EA's NBA Street Volume 3 was just released, to pretty solid first reviews. I hesitate to spend $50 on a "non-realistic" game, so the buzz about Volume 3 actually helped me focus my attention to NBA Street Volume 2, which was critically acclaimed, and which can be had for less than $15 used in most gaming stores. I must say, after a few games with my son, I'm quite pleased with my purchase!

First of all, it's nice to not be concerned with realistic stats, up-to-date rosters, the accuracy of the gameplay, the authenticity of the front office moves, and so forth. It's just pick up the controller, and get on the court, which is somewhat liberating, at least for me. The controls are pretty easy to pick up, and the action is over the top, but tight. The moves are pure arcade streetball, but within the confines of basic basketball strategy. Included with the package are a handful of players from every NBA team (circa 2003), plus several NBA and streetball legends. I know I'm a nerd, but I can form my "dream team" of Larry Bird, Pistol Pete Maravich, and the video game version of me in my "prime" to take on the rest of the hardcourt legends! There are many to choose from, including three versions of Michael Jordan, Dr. J., Walt Frazier, "the logo" (Jerry West), Rick Barry, and many more. For good basketball gaming on the cheap, NBA Street Volume 2 is the "shiznit," or something like that (I guess I need to catch up on the lingo used in the manual to describe some of the special moves, LOL).

No comments: