Saturday, February 05, 2005

Movie Night

I had a little money left on my Blockbuster gift card from Christmas, so we decided to watch a couple of movies tonight. I picked up Collateral and Anchorman, but ended up settling on Open Water and Napoleon Dynamite, based upon reviews and recommendations from friends. What a disaster!

Open Water was downright pathetic. I've seen better acting in the middle school Drama Club! And, I absolutely do not get the buzz about Napoleon Dynamite. What was the point of that whole movie? Was it the 80's nostalgia, set in the 21st century? I've seen better plots at the cemetery! (Yes, I'm here all week.)

I give Open Water a lackluster .75 stars for the oceanic scenery, while Napoleon Dynamite nets a paltry .50 stars. The only movies I would rate worse are Green Card and Super Troopers.

There goes 3 hours of my life that I won't get back...

4 comments:

Ted said...

WOW. Napoleon Dynamite and Super Troopers are two of my favorite movies. I can't really explain it, but I'll watch those two movies everytime they are on cable (In the case of Napoleon it is still a rental, but I'll watch it several times during the rent). I do think that they are both love or hate movies though so I guess we fall on different sides of the fence here :).

Ted

Kevin said...

The thing is, Ted, I usually like goofy, off-beat movies like that! I just couldn't get into that character, you know? Maybe if I catch some of it again on HBO, or something, I might see what I'm missing now. Or, like you say, maybe it is just a "love it or hate it" movie, and for some reason, I don't care for it. Now, with Super Troopers, I really thought that was just abysmal. Not funny at all. That's one of the handful of movies in my life that I've rented, that I just couldn't finish. Give me Reno 911 anyday, which I think is a great show, Super Troopers just was crap, in my OPINION.

Kevin

Adam Simpson said...

Kevin,

Another of my Trans-Atlantic contacts is pushing me to have a look at Napoleon Dynamite - he seems to think I'll find it funny but I haven't the faintest idea what it's all about. What's the general idea behind it?

Beginning to think I won't bother with it - I don't spend a lot on films anyway so I need to be pretty sure I'll like it first.

That second paragrpah of yours is even better if you imagine a comedy drumroll at the end...

Cheers,
Adam

Kevin said...

Honestly, Adam, it's really hard to figure out the whole point of Napolean Dynomite. It really just makes fun of the lives of 1980's era geeks, but the setting is the 21st century. It's hard for me to understand the draw of this film. Is it the nostalgia? I guess I just don't get it, while others (obviously) do. I don't recommend wasting money or time on it, but then again, I guess you may really like it. It appears to be a movie that polarizes its viewers...

Kevin