Sunday, February 20, 2005

More Stuff

After Saturday's coming and going without an NHL agreement, I'm feeling less and less angry, and more and more sorry for NHL fans. What the owners and players are doing to fans is inexcusable, and I think there will be serious long-term damage to the sport. You just can't jerk around the folks that pay your bills, and believe me, hockey revenues are generated more at the gate than via TV ratings. Once I put myself in an NHL fan's shoes, and revisited my anxiety during the 1994 baseball season, it kind of hit home. I hope all of the NHL fans can find something to soothe their collective misery. I promised myself a while back, if baseball ever strikes again, I will give up the MLB for the MLS, and now, maybe even Arena football.

Speaking of which, do you watch the "50-yard Indoor War?" It's actually pretty entertaining. I've never taken it very seriously, but now that Chris Spielman is coaching (a childhood hero of mine), and I have a local team to support (Columbus Destroyers), I'm starting to pay more attention, at least until the MLB, MLS, and NFL Draft start taking my time. Amazingly, the AFL has been around for nearly 20 years, and it appears to be getting stronger and stronger.

I won my first WE8 League game, against Real Madrid, 4-1! I'm excited, but somewhat worried, because I'm signed up for the 2-star level. I've been hearing that the game gets way too easy on 2-stars, and I'm starting to see it now. I'm getting tons of chances every game, and now I'm learning how to finish. Since we only play our home games, it may just be luck in terms of who gets promoted to the 3-stars division. Regardless, it will be fun to see how things pan out.

Lastly, I finished Moneyball. I can't recommend this book enough to baseball purists and rotoheads alike. What a great read. I loaned it to my father-in-law (another big baseball fan), and I plan on reading it again when he's finished with it! Plus, now I have a new perspective with which to view actual MLB baseball, my fantasy baseball team and my virtual baseball teams (through video games). I love new ideas, and ways of thinking that challenge the "status quo." Moneyball delivers!

6 comments:

Kevin said...

Don't expect too much, LOL! Winning fantasy baseball can be just as much about luck as it is skill!

Ted said...

Kevin,

You won't be stuck in 2 stars. After preseason anyone that wants to move up to 3 stars will be allowed to do so. Sully has already indicated he will be moving up and I would recommend you do the same. 38 games at 2 star could get a little boring :)

Thanks for being part of the league!

Ted

Kevin said...

Hey Ted,

Thanks for all of your work in running and organizing this league!

That's good news! I have a feeling that 2 stars is just going to get too easy... I thought sure Real would pose a challenge, but they were no challenge at all, which concerned me.

Ted said...

2 stars is all about dribbling. You can really hone your dribbling skills there and abuse a defense. You won't get away with it on 3, but you will be better prepared for the challenges. 3 stars in all about the through pass imo. You'll be able to learn to utilize it (when and what direction). You should also practice low trajectory crosses for header on 3 stars. I also think 8 is a little easier on the difficulty levels. Almost like a 1/2 star down at each level. Either that or I've taken a jump forward in ability (which might be possible). I should go back to 7 and compare. Glad you enjoy the league.

Ted

Adam Simpson said...

Kev,

Have you tried playing the same fixture on 3 stars? Give it a whirl and see what you think - as Ted said, you'll find your passing skills take more precedence over dribbling skill.

One piece of advice, though. Don't give up on the solo run completely. Even on 6 stars there are opportunities to run, and no defender likes dealing with a man running directly at them. Take the pass when it's there, make sure you keep possession and wait for your opportunity to strike but don't be scared to keep running if the chance presents itself.

Have fun...

Cheers,
Adam

jcalvert said...

What Ted said - WE8 is easier. If I found 2-stars too easy, then you know something is up!