Thursday, February 03, 2005

College Football All Year 'Round

Yesterday was the official "signing day" for college football recruits, where former high school football stars submit their signed letters-of-intent to play at the institution of their choice. Serious College Football fans follow this event closely, as today's signees become tomorrow's stars at the old alma mater. Honestly, for many of us, college football doesn't end with the bowl games. We have the recruiting hoopla to take us into February, spring practice in March and April, and of course, the NFL draft. Practice then starts in July/August. The football season is much longer than September through January.

Being the stat geek that I am, I always follow recruiting and the NFL draft with much aplomb. It's also a treat for me to see yesterday's college heroes become NFL future stars, and again, to see the first reports on my favorite colleges' new players.

Akron signed potentially its best class ever. I was surprised to see a significant percentage of the newcomers had offers from Big Ten schools and/or Big East schools. Hopefully, these kids can lead Akron to the next level in the MAC, and take Marshall's place as the top dog in the East. Hope "Springs" eternal on signing day, doesn't it?!

Time to fire up NCAA 2004 on the Xbox, and bring in my next group of virtual recruits!

3 comments:

jcalvert said...

Kevin - funny; we have completely different takes on signing day. :)

I know it is important and all (UGA is rated Top 10 by most major places that track this sort of thing), but I just do not take that much stock in it.

Now the NFL draft - I love to watch/follow the draft. Last year I had to fly to the UK on day two. Hopefully I get a full two day weekend of draft day goodness this year.

Kevin said...

LOL, it is funny, Jonathan... I've always been a "stats" guy, so virtually assembling a team is something I enjoy as much as actually playing a game. That's also why I probably enjoy fantasy sports so much.

Are you the same way, or are you not one that's big on stats? I wonder if that's the difference...

Kevin

jcalvert said...

Kevin, you should know that I am a huge stats guy. After all, my degree is in that thing called math.

Seriously, I just do not think ranking classes is that big of a deal. Too much happens in the life of a 17 year old before they actually step foot on a college campus. That freshmen gamebreaker is rare; instead you have to wait about three years to see how it actually turns out. My opinion anyway.

Now the NFL draft, I love all that junk.