Sunday, July 08, 2007

Like a kid at Christmas time...

NCAA Football is just over a week away! At (almost) 36, I can't believe I still get excited for this stuff...

To make the time between now and then go even slower, EA has released a half-dozen or so videos, trailers, and tutorials from the game on the Xbox Live Marketplace. Of course, I had to check those out...

Here are the highlights:

  • The trophy room has been greatly enhanced, and it includes things like user-saved great play videos and stills. It appears some can even be uploaded. This is cool; there's nothing like reliving those "oh my" moments of greatness on the screen. I still recall the time I (er, virtual Mark Price) hit three 3-pointers in the last minute to win a game in NBA Live (circa 1997, I think). I even re-lived it out on my basketball court. Yes, I need help...
  • Campus Legend mode allows you to either take over an existing player, or to create a new one. Instead of doing drills to earn a scholarship, you now play in your state's high school playoff games, among the final 16 teams. You also get to advise your coach of your favorite school, so he can make sure they're in attendance. Your performance in the tournament earns you a rating (up to 5 stars), and subsequent offers based upon your performance. It looks to add even more to the fun, although I don't think they brought the girlfriend pictures back. As I said, I need help!
  • Recruiting has been totally revamped. There are now up to fourteen different recruiting pitches, and you can uncover how the player feels about each one, before hammering home your final pitch during an in-home visit to get a commitment. You can rank the recruits in order of importance (which affects how they feel about your school), and also make promises in regard to playing time and so forth. You have an integrity rating that changes based upon keeping your promises, which can negatively affect some recruits if your rating is low. It appears that you are limited to so many "hours" a week to recruit. Also, a much needed change is the ability to search the player database. Now you can focus on exactly the players you want, from where you want, without looking through everyone in the DB. Cool.
  • There are a few more plays added, like the ones Boise State pulled off against Oklahoma last season (the Statue of Liberty and the Hook and Lateral). The hit stick has been improved to allow you to dive at players' ankles, and gang tackling has finally been implemented. There's also a new momentum feature, where you can take control of someone, make a play, and improve his moral and the moral of players within his "influence." It looks a little iffy, but at least they're trying to capture the ups and downs of the college game, I guess.

Overall, I'm excited about the changes, and I think this could be the best NCAA ever, assuming there's no major glitches, like QB accuracy, or the ability to rush of the end, and so forth from previous editions. Obviously, I can't wait!

No comments: