Wednesday, July 18, 2007

It's Here!

NCAA Football 08 is now in it's rightful place in my Xbox 360. I removed the shrink wrap at approximately 3:47 PM, and subsequently spent about 4 hours with it throughout the rest of the evening. Here are some "gut reactions" to my experience.

Saving and uploading your personal highlights seems to be the big addition to this year's game, as you begin in your "shrine," where you can view your trophies and past moments of glory. It's a little different interface, and somewhat cumbersome, but obviously EA is trumpeting it's newest feature. I spent a little time examining what is and isn't available compared to last year's Xbox version, and most everything is there. The only thing I couldn't find was a way to do drills, which was one of the best ways to master the controls. I believe they're in the Campus Challenge mode, but they're not available off the menu, which is a bit of a disappointment.

Speaking of controls, the default controls are different, as the "hurdle" button is back and the sprint button has moved to the right trigger. On defense, "jump the snap" is now the left trigger, which feels a little awkward. As I mentioned previously, there's also new hit stick moves, and gang tackling, which looks pretty cool.


The rosters are definitely bigger. I spent about an hour-and-a-half editing my Zips. I was going to do the Buckeyes as well, but after 70 entries, it got kind of old. I just let the computer name the rest of my players.

After that, I began my first foray into the Campus Legend mode. I created myself as a running back, and proceeded to claim my high school's first state championship since 1985 (on varsity level). I was quite successful as a running back, and I was rated as a 5-star prospect. Almost everybody wanted my services, but only a few quality schools offered me a starting spot as a freshman. Despite his woeful performance as the Brown's coach, I decided to join Butch Davis at UNC. My speed is a 99! Methinks that varsity is a little too easy… I will begin my college campaign tonight, and confirm whether or not the drills are present. Otherwise, it looks pretty similar to last year's Xbox version, in terms of your daily activities and so forth. One major change is "super sim" mode, where you only participate when your player is on the field, and from your player's perspective. It's much like last year's Madden's superstar mode, and it's a welcome change. I should be able to progress through my four years much quicker this way. For the record, I'll also start a Campus Legend on All-American level, and I'll play my Zips' dynasty on All-American level, which I should begin tonight.

Other than getting accustomed to the controls, and the gang tackling, the other thing I noticed was that in my four-game run to the state championship, I can't recall one instance of "Mario running." Maybe it's because I covered up in traffic, which opened up a whole new set of animations, but it was a welcome change. Finally, you can hitch a ride on the hind end of one of your big hogs up front, and clear some space inside the tackles. We'll see how it goes at UNC.

Much much much much much more to come! :-)

2 comments:

KAT said...

"I removed the shrink wrap at approximately 3:47 PM, and subsequently spent about 4 hours with it throughout the rest of the evening."

This sentence made me laugh out loud. I can appreciate the enthusiasm and timeframe. I bet it felt like 4 minutes, not 4 hours! Come to think of it, I'm betting it was more than 4 hours but that's all you'll admit to! LOL

Kevin said...

:-)

Over two more hours tonight, until my wife took over the TV!

I might even play again a little later. Yes, I have issues, LOL...

Kevin