Friday, December 28, 2007

Root for the Home Team

What happened to the concept of rooting for the "home team?" According to my DNA, you don't choose which sports teams you support, you're born into it. I've never understood why Ohio-born-and-bred folks root for Michigan, or Pittsburgh, or whatever flavor of the month. To me, it's akin to rooting for another country in the Olympics! How come you never see these maze-and-blue attired traitors wearing a basketball shirt from the Chinese Olympic basketball team?

Why, on one level, do these people totally commit to the idea of supporting our American athletes in an international competition, yet can't support their state or local sports teams in their respective competitions? I guess I just don't understand people… Like the guy at work sporting the New England Patriots t-shirt today. This is probably the same guy who had a Colts t-shirt on last year, all for the sole purpose of pretending that "his team" won, like that's of any value. Thankfully, I don't validate myself based upon the success of certain sports teams.

It's also in my DNA that this bugs me, for some reason. Rant over.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more. I've always been a fan of my local teams (Yankees, Giants, Knicks and Rangers).