Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Prelude To My First Half-Day

Just to solidify my week, feel more attached to my new employer and less attached to the old one, I sent a very brief e-mail to my new supervisor. It basically reiterated the fact that per our last discussion, I would be there on Friday, early, working a half – day.

His response was a little more detailed. It stated I would be having lunch with him, two other team members (who I’ve already met), the company attorney (a woman, and also the owner’s daughter), and the Chief Administrative Officer. That’s a pretty full first half-day. (And, we’re having lunch at, I kid you not, a sports bar located right next to a biker bar. And yes, in case you were wondering, I’ve been to both.)

The e-mail response also included a note to give my boss a call, which I did, fairly promptly (because one should never seem too anxious)! During the course of that call, I was advised I’d already been signed up for a seminar, all day, next month, downtown, regarding Workers’ Compensation. My friend just got a job downtown so I’m wondering if we can meet for lunch. That’s probably not what should be running through my head but nonetheless, it was.

I was also advised (forewarned) not to park in the “designated” parking spaces, as it’s a pet peeve, so to speak (OK. Well, not on my FIRST day anyway…)

I’ll probably spend the first day setting up my office (that’s one plant, one picture of me and my friend with the Goo Goo Dolls, my mirror, lip gloss, nail file, and lint remover, along with the static guard, band aids, Purell, hand lotion, and an emergency stash of…FOOD). Then, and only then I’ll log on, advise all my friends of my new work e-mail address and phone number, and I get to sit with the IT guy. Oh yeah, I’m going to learn as much as I can from him. I already have his name committed to memory. Can you ever learn enough from your IT people? I may have one of my programming books lying around for good measure. Maybe he’ll be able to explain the “Try,” “Catch,” and “Finally” statements I’m perplexed by in my programming course!

Of course, that could be wishful thinking on my part!

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Great post! I'm wishing you all the best at the new digs!

Kevin