Monday, August 20, 2007

Monday Musings

It was another tough weekend for me as a sports fan.

First of all, my all-time favorite soccer player, Brian McBride, suffered a dislocated knee while taking a shot unmarked from about 5 yards out. It was definitely a freak injury. Brian is 35 years old, and probably doesn't have many more matches in him. He is a US soccer legend, and a great man and human being, by all accounts. I wish him a speedy recovery (he's slated to be out 3 months), and I hope I get the chance to see him hit at least one more of those magnificent headers into the back of the net before he's done. What a shame...

The Crew, currently barely occupying the last playoff spot in the MLS Cup, turned in another listless effort in a 2-0 loss to DC United Saturday night. Watching this team is like riding a roller coaster - one the goes from sucking, to unbelievably great, to sucking again.

Charlie Frye, a fellow Akron alum, is being set up to fail in Cleveland for "golden boy" Brady Quinn (I've never liked Brady; like his college coach, I've always found him disingenuous and smug, like he thinks he's better than everyone). Frye has never really had the full support of the Browns, nor has he had solid talent around him. They've jerked him around from the end of last season with Anderson, who has shown nothing in his limited time. Yet, he gives his all to the team in an effort to win (how many athletes truly do that anymore?). They'll let him take another beating early this year, until the line gels, and then bring in the "Golden Boy" to save the day. And, like most over matched rookies, he'll probably fall on his face, and the Browns will be back to square one of an expansion franchise. You have to be EXCEPTIONAL to succeed as a rookie, and I truly doubt that Quinn is of that caliber. I honestly hope Charlie gets let go, because he needs a fresh start and a change of scenery, with an organization that will give him a fair shake. Also, it would hardly be fair to throw Quinn to the dogs, much like they did to Couch, and to Frye. At least show some restraint, and take the appropriate amount of time to develop a QB, for a change...

At least the Tribe are in first place. For now...

I've been playing NASCAR 08 the last few days. I have some impressions going over at the Sports Gaming Nation. I really like it thus far, but I have a long way to go.

I'm really excited because I think I've just about settled on a slider set that brings an appropriate level of realism back into NCAA Football 08. I've had only one interception by my defense against the CPU QB's in the last three games (all wins by me, by the way). I still have to tweak my pass blocking and the CPU's running game, but I'm really enjoying the action on the field right now, six games into my dynasty.

I still have 3 Xbox 360 games that I haven't even played! Man, I need more time...

No comments: