Thursday, December 30, 2004

Wow!

I'm suffering from a mental overload right now. I got my copy of Worldwide Soccer Manager 2005 tonight, and promptly installed it and downloaded the patch. All is running smoothly, at least regarding the software itself. A relative soccer "newbie" like me is having a hard time keeping up! There are so many options, so many ratings, and so much information to track, I hardly know where to start.

In my first dry-run of a coaching career, I decided to start out unemployed, instead of picking a team up front (you can start out by picking a team to manage right away, if you like). I played for an hour, simulated 6 months of the season, and still didn't have a job! Great. I'm a good enough failure in real life without having to simulate being a failure in a darn video game. However, after starting a new season managing Hartlepool, it might be better off if I just stayed unemployed!

Thankfully, this game comes with an honest-to-goodness 70 page manual. That sounds like a lot, but hey, I have a lot to learn. I need to read through that sucker before embarking on my new career, so I can at least know where to begin. Interestingly enough, my copy of FIFA 2005 for the Xbox, also a complex game (no where near the level of WWSM, though), came with a paltry 14 page manual. Two of the pages were for notes, and three pages consisted of credits! As a matter of fact, if I added all of the manual pages together for all of my EA games, I probaby wouldn't have a cumulative total of 70 pages of instruction and information. Kudos to SI for at least giving me somewhere to start...

I don't want to sound like I'm disappointed. I love to bury myself in sports games that detail the managerial side of a particular sport, so this is perfect for me. I've played similar games before (Baseball Mogul, Out of the Park Baseball, etc.), but those games focused on baseball, a subject with which I'm MUCH more familiar. I actually planned on using this game as a teaching tool to some degree, anyway, so it will help me be a more intelligent fan of the EPL. I guess I'm getting my money's worth!

Like it or not, I'll keep you posted... At the very least, I might lose weight from the stress of trying to figure this game out, so this will be a productive use of time on all accounts.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Hey Jason,

After my level of success lately in video games, it might be time to break out some of those Reader Rabbit titles, so I can finally "win" something! :-)

Kevin

jcalvert said...

LOL - I started the same way you did and it took me about a years worth of sims before I said screw that and started over and picked a team. I assume our reps (being from different Columbus cities) is enought to scare off nearly everyone!

Best of luck with the game and the Blog!

Kevin said...

Thanks for the tips, Dave!

JC - I guess an American trying to break in managing an English club isn't going to work very well! I couldn't even get hired by the MLS, however! This game must be too realistic... :)

Kevin

Adam Simpson said...

Kevin,

As the resident HUFC nut and lower league knowledge base, if you need any formation or squad advice give me a whistle. Your assistant should be Martin Scott, unless you've sacked him...he'll be ok at running training and should be good at developing young talent.

If it helps, though we play 4-4-2 in real life Pools might be better off using a 4-3-1-2 with Boyd dropping in behind Porter and Williams...

Kevin said...

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the starting points. I still have Martin on the staff, although I can't remember his role. The funny thing is, I was just toying with the idea of a 4-3-1-2, given my personnel. Either that was a lucky guess, or I'm starting to catch on... :-)

Even funnier, to show how much this game has a grip on me already, I was thinking of the formation change while visiting my in-laws in Akron today for New Year's! I haven't touched the game since Thursday night, but I'm often thinking about it, and reading the manual, of course. I'll be back at it tonight.

Kevin