Thursday, December 30, 2004

Promises, Promises

It's that time of year again, where we turn over the calendar to a new year, and commit to turning over a new leaf in some capacity in our lives. Yes, I'm talking about New Year's resolutions.

If you continue reading this blog, you'll find that it's as much a group therapy session for me as it is entertainment (?) for you. I'm going to share one of my resolutions with you, and provide updates on my progress throughout the year. You may not be interested, but it will be good for me!

My "public" resolution is to shed some weight! Since I started working a desk job, I've gained about 5 pounds a year on average. That's not bad in any given year, but it adds up over time! I've effectively gone from a svelte defensive back-sized body to an aging middle linebacker's body, since college. Before long, not only will my kids beat me with the video games, but they'll beat me in sports, too! I need to commit to an exercise/diet type of program, and commit to it for more than a few days. I'm going to do the Body for Life program. I did a trial program of sorts for three weeks a while ago, and I lost 12 pounds. Not bad! My goal is to get to at least a free safety-sized body by Spring Break, when we take our family vacation to Disney (yes, the Griswold's are heading south!). That way, I can take my shirt off at the pool without scaring little children.

If I don't take this seriously, I'll need to ride the motorized carts when I shop at Wal-Mart before too long! I need your help in keeping me accountable…

January 3rd will be the first day of the program for me. If you're curious, BFL is basically a diet of 6 small meals per day, consisting of a serving of protein and a serving of "good" carbohydrates (like wheat bread, carrots, plain baked potato, etc.), and at least two servings of vegetables a day. It also includes 3 weight-lifting sessions per week, and three cardiovascular workout sessions per week. The workouts only take around a half-hour, so it's not a huge time commitment. On the 7th day, you can eat WHATEVER you want, as you sloth around watching sports on TV or playing video games, or whatever. If you need to shed some pounds, and you think this might be plausible for you, I highly encourage you to get the book and check it out. It's not THAT hard of a program.

If you like, click on "Comments" below this post, and share one or more of your resolutions. Maybe we can help each other out...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My New Year's Resolution is to cut back on the PBR!

Kevin said...

Funny... One of mine is to drink MORE PBR!

:)

Anonymous said...

You should drop the "Body for Life" program and get with the "PBR for Life" program! You may not lose weight but you will lose a lot of respect from family and friends! Ok don't do it..

Kevin said...

Hide as you may behind the "anonymous" poster label, I know that's you, Linner! Your affection for PBR has given you away, but as always, you are giving sound advice. :)

I'm on day 2 of the BFL, (I know "BFD"), and I haven't broken down yet! :)

Kevin

Anonymous said...

I don't want to hide anymore. But I don't have an account so I can't have a name yet. So for now I will remain sort of anonymous but not really or whatever. Good job on sticking with the diet. I'm proud of ya and I hope you stick with it. You will end up feeling better and it will rock! Good luck! I find a good thing to do is chug water. It makes me feel great! My New Year's Resolution really is to keep a positive perspective on everything and to maintain contact with God as much as possible. Word to yo motha!

Linda

Anonymous said...

Kevin... this is "The Doctor". You have not lost your sense of humor since transfer to the big city. "Scaring little children"... you are priceless. Good luck on your program whichever one you chose. My plan is to lose weight by wishful thinking..... and a little NordicTrack.... Good luck pal!

Kevin said...

"Linner" - what a great resolution!

Doctor, I'm glad you checked out my blog and posted! What do you mean "sense of humor" - I was totally serious! :)

It was good to hear from you both... Take Care...