Friday, September 07, 2007

Weekend Update (not the funny SNL version)

It looks like I’m on a pace for weekly updates… I guess that's better than nothing!

College football has kicked off, and I couldn't be more excited! Last weekend was a dream weekend for me. Akron and Ohio State won handily, Notre Dame was crushed, and Michigan fell victim in the greatest upset in college football history! This weekend, however, will be a nightmare, as my alma mater (Akron) faces the team I've supported my whole life (Ohio State). Since my time at Akron is a big part of who I am, and it's where I met my lovely wife, I can't help but root for them always. Although, it will be difficult this week, due to my immense love for OSU. Fortunately, the dastardly Big Ten Network isn't part of my cable system, so my emotions won't be twisted by watching the battle wage on. I think Ohio State wins, about 31-13 or so. Akron, hopefully, will be respectable.

I'm hoping that Penn State destroys Notre Dame, and that Michigan falls again, this time to Oregon. Kent State also visits Kentucky, which I'm going to record (I bought the Game Plan package this year) so I can scout the losers from Kent (Akron's chief rival) and hopefully see my third-favorite team (Kentucky - my parents are from there, and my dad went there for a year) secure an easy win.

Darrin's soccer team played in a tournament last weekend. They went 2-1, losing to the eventual champion in a closely contested game, 3-1. It looks like they'll be pretty good this year. The most exciting part was when the coach called Darrin's name to take a penalty kick. Darrin's a defender, and he's only scored a few goals in all of the seasons he's played travel soccer. He stepped up, went upper left over the goalie, and put away the last game we played. It was exciting, and best of all, we got it on videotape!

Brittany's softball season started this Tuesday. She's young enough to where she's still in one of those "nobody keeps score/everybody gets a trophy" kind of leagues, and they use a machine to pitch. She went 2-for-2, and was very excited. Hitting's a big mental thing for her, since she's been hit a couple of times, and is a bit afraid of the ball. Often, if she gets just an inch or two closer to the plate, she'll hit. If she doesn't, she'll strike out. That's a giant leap for her mentally, but I'm proud of her for stepping in there and overcoming her fear. She's got an excellent glove, a decent arm, and good speed. However, I don’t think she loves sports and competing like Darrin does, so she probably won't pursue it too much longer. As a matter of fact, for the first time in a few years, she's not playing soccer. That's okay, though. She's having fun, and that's what's most important. There are plenty of other things to do besides sports, and Brittany is very talented in art, and is quite the actress/comedian/story teller. Most importantly, like Darrin, she does very well in school.

My wife's birthday is Monday. Her dad is coming down to watch the kids' games this weekend. He's also going to baby-sit Saturday night so Melissa and I can go out to dinner. I'm going to take her to a place where we don't have to dump our own trays! We're going to one of the better reputed steakhouses in Columbus: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Hopefully, it will live up to its reputation. At the very least, we get a "date" for a change.

On the video game front, I got Stuntman in the mail this week, which is my next review for Gameshark. The premise is cool: you're a stunt driver for a movie studio, and you have to execute these elaborate stunts to the director's satisfaction. There also appears to be a bit of a "sandbox" mode, where you can set up your own stunts. You have the ability to save replays of your best work, as well. I don't know if the game will have enough legs to be a keeper, but I'm excited about giving it a run. I'm good at crashing in driving games, so hopefully it will pay off in Stuntman!

No comments: