Sunday, September 09, 2007

Gotta Go to Goo!

We said we wouldn’t do it.

We said we did it before and we won’t do it again.

We won’t have crappy concert seats. We can’t. Not after I won the radio contest. Not after meeting the band and having a photo op. Not after having second row center seats. We’re spoiled now.

Then I went and ordered tickets from the fan club site, fully expecting that membership had its privileges. The little pop-up notice said I’d get my seat number and row before I exited…so I went for it. I was “all in.” Even when I saw the “GA” (General Admission) seat number, I kept clicking away thinking, “I gotta go to Goo!”

Then I was just annoyed. I felt betrayed. I should run that website (because I have so much free time these days!) I hate “general admission.” I don’t do “general admission” anymore. I couldn’t stop clicking away at the keyboard – like the sound of the “clackers” (those girls whose stilettos make that “clickety-clack” sound on the polished floors as in the movie “The Devil Wears Prada. I’m a clacker!) I'm also a general admission ticket holder.

The tickets arrived and I tossed them aside. Then the concert was cancelled, rescheduled and moved to a new, smaller, venue. OK, time to fess up to the purchase. Well, I told my concert going friend I had tickets. I explained they could also, due to the date and venue change, be returned for a full refund (they were cheap considering what we’re used to paying a broker for second row center seats). I said, “I know it’s general admission. I know it’s on a Wednesday evening. I know we said we wouldn’t do this but…”

My friend said, “I think we should go.” I smiled one of those very slow, sly kind of smiles. I closed my eyes and nodded approvingly thinking, "You gotta see Goo too!"

And that was that. So now I’m going to work on coming in late to my new job the day after seeing our beloved Goo Goo Dolls! I have a couple weeks to work on it.

More importantly, I’m going to see one of my top two favorite bands! I’m seeing the Goo Goo Dolls for the 4th time in a year and a half. How cool is that?

And scars are souvenirs you never lose, the past is never far
(From their first hit “Name,” by the Goo Goo Dolls)

No comments: