Friday, September 28, 2007

Change is the only constant

That's one of the mantras at my place of employment. At times, I think it might be better said that ambiguity is the only constant, but I don't think they'd take my suggestion.

However, I firmly believe, and have witnessed several times, that change brings opportunity! And, for me, that occurred last week. I'm migrating from a training coordinator position to a systems coordinator position. Training/people development and systems are my two loves, so there really is no way for me to lose. I haven't held a systems job for nearly 3 years at my company, so I'm excited to get back into it. Plus, the systems job is more "stable," which bodes better for my near future. To be fair - I don't want to paint the wrong picture - one thing my company does very well is give folks ample opportunity to find something else within the company when their job is being "transitioned" away. It's not always the best situation, but it's better than the way most companies use the "pink slip." My previous job wasn't up for "transition," but I think it's likely that in the near future changes of that nature could happen.

So, I'll be learning a lot of new things, and re-learning some old things. I am looking forward to it. I did hear through the "grapevine" that some folks aren't too happy about the decision, but that's nothing I haven't had to handle before. There are enough good people in enough right places to get things done, and to make some good relationships along the way. Plus, I'm pretty confident in my own abilities!

Enough about work - it's the weekend!

I submitted my Stuntman - Ignition review earlier in the week (who knows when it will get posted). I gave it an A-; the highest rating I've given an Xbox 360 game yet. Quite frankly, it's definitely the best 360 game I've reviewed so far, and among the best I've played. I'll post a link when it's on Gameshark.

My next project is a review of an online version of Diamond-Mind Baseball. I'm going to start looking into that this weekend. Plus, I might be getting a Sherlock Holmes game to review. I love me a good mystery!

2 comments:

KAT said...

I'm confident in your abilities as well. It's great you are located where you are. Unfortunately, for those who are not located in an Operation Center, "your" company only rewards mobility and, as I'm sure you understand, that means they don't always put the right person in the right place. Thankfully, in your case, they did it right. I'm so happy for you. Sometimes something good falls into your lap. You just have to say thanks and do your best.

And isn't it amazing that you do your best and your finest when you realize that "some folks aren't happy about the decision"? That just fuels the fire for me. Sometimes, it's a jealousy thing but as in most cases in life, there is only one winner and one loser, and you, my friend are THE WINNER!!!! Congratulations again.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the promotion. I like to see good things happen to good people.