Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sitting Pretty

It doesn’t happen very often, at least not to me.

Some of my friends have landed jobs that are “overwhelming” or jobs they simply dislike for a myriad of reasons. Some have even been told, “You have very big shoes to fill.” My one friend keeps telling me, “I can’t keep up.”

Well, I can’t imagine having to be the one that follows the “one” - the one that was deemed ‘stellar’. You surely can appreciate how dreadful and dismal this all sounded to me. I didn’t’ have a choice though. Just like them, I had to start over. I was a little perplexed, pre-occupied, and looking for a Plan B.

Me… The chick that has to find a new job and hears all these horror stories.

Me… About to start this new job that I’m not even sure I want.

Me… I know…it’s all about ME!

As it turns out, to my utter dismay and astonishment, I recently learned that numerous candidates applied for this job. That being said, I ended up, so far, and this is only week # 3 mind you, I ended up “sitting pretty.”

Believe me, I am as shocked as you are.

I know most people do the best job they can. I’m sitting pretty right now because anything I do is a vast improvement over my predecessor, who I’m sure did their best. We all know it’s hard to fit in. I struggle too, with my new work environment, new responsibilities, and new politics. I hate being the new person. I just went through this crap in tech school! I lost my comfort zone, my freedom, and my vacation. I have to prove myself all over again. But fate, or faith, or something I cannot discern or name, stepped in.

I am coming in at the perfect time – when digging out and digging in is required, and more than needed; when new procedures and standards need to be formulated and implemented. When new protocols must be established and adhered too. Where dire straits exist and must be eradicated. All I can tell you is that this quagmire exists and could have extremely detrimental effects. I have my hands full.

I’m also sitting in class right now as I hand write this missive in my notebook. It’s been a very long day for me and I need a break…a break to blog.

I wish I were sitting as pretty in class as I am in my new job.

No comments: