Saturday, September 29, 2007

iLove my iPhone

The original wallpaper on the iPhone is a photo of the Earth taken from space. It’s cool. I left it like that for the few weeks I’ve had it. Today, with a little spare time, I changed it to Van Gogh’s Starry Night.

My first “issue” with the iPhone had nothing to do with the phone itself and everything to do with my cable company (TW). Big surprise. Anyway, thanks to David Pogue (author of iPhone The Missing Manual, the problem has been solved.

I was able to receive mail but unable to send it. That’s a big deal. So off to see what Mr. Pogue had to say about that. To be honest, I tried both fix #1 and #2 but neither worked. I ended up using fix #3, which was to use AT&T (official carrier for iPhone) for my outgoing mail. It seems to be working but I won’t know for sure until Monday. If it isn’t, you’ll know by Monday as well.

The other issue I had is I inputted all my contacts but when I synced, I lost them. I haven’t synced since and I know some patches and updates are available. That’s just another cool thing about the iPhone. They tell you NEVER buy the first version because there are bugs and glitches. However, those bugs and glitches are so easy to fix when you just sync your iPhone like you would your iPod. It’s instantaneous. And let’s face it, in a world that demands instant gratification, this is pretty sweet. Hopefully I won’t lose my contacts this time. It’s pretty time consuming to re-enter them and the iPhone doesn’t sync with Outlook contacts. I’ll see what Mr. Pogue has to say about that tomorrow. (If you have a Yahoo, Gmail, .mac or AOL account , you'll be just fine!)

The battery also has to be charged each night if you spend a decent amount of time on- line like I do. Not really a big deal to me though.

Finally for today, you've never seen e-mail on a phone like this. Let me quote David Pogue, "Dude, if you want a more satisfying portable email machine than this one, buy a laptop."

That’s all I’ve had time to comment on so far. Between the new job, school, and life in general, not to mention an over the top Goo Goo Doll concert (future blog to follow), it’s been a little hectic and I haven’t devoted the time the iPhone deserves. It’s been pretty effortless to use and update, and I’m thrilled and proud to own one. I showed it to a less than savvy gadget person who proclaimed, “I must have one.”

I’m surprised I waited as long as I did to purchase mine. I mean, I did get in on the “unprecedented” drop in price, but still…it’s just so cool.

No comments: