Sunday, May 27, 2007

Three-Legged Dog...

I’m lucky enough to have quite a few policemen in my neighborhood. I often see them patrolling the area and my ‘hood.

Returning from an afternoon appointment and almost home, I was following a patrol car down my street when a little white dog trotted in front of us. I assumed the patrol car would stop and check it out. Clearly, you could see a collar on the dog. I was wrong. The officer let the dog pass and then continued to drive. Huh?

Now what? Oh you know the answer by now. I go into “I-Must-Save-All-Animals-That-Cross-My-Path” mode, again.

I put the car in park, climb out and say, “OK little one. What’s your story?” And the little white dog trots over all happy with that look in his eyes – you know the one – that one that says “take me home, feed me, fall in love with me and keep me. I’m so cute.” (Or maybe that look says SUCKER!)

Now I honestly have no idea what breed of dog this is aside from calling it a “little white mutt that I can pick up with one hand.” My cats are bigger than this dog. Perhaps it is not a dog at all. Perhaps it is a large white rat with a collar. It’s so ugly that it’s cute. It’s also using only 3 of its legs when it walks. Upon closer inspection, I see stitches – about 20 of them – around the right hind leg. The collar says “Rex” (I laugh a little at that) but the stitches increase my concern. Armed with rat-dog in one hand and a cell phone in the other (my one and only Paris Hilton moment, I hope), I dial the number on the collar. No answer. The dog is quite content with me. No barking, no squirming, just happy as ever to be in my arms. (SUCKER!)

As it turns out, Rex belongs to a neighbor who is not home. No problem. I put him back behind the wrought iron fence with his other furry friend. That was easy!

Rex just stares at me as if to say, “you silly girl! I’m coming with you.” He proceeds to place his front left leg between the slats of the fence. Then his head…his right front leg…his back working leg and POOF – he’s out again! I take Rex home. My neighbor sees this and comes to the rescue. He offers to house Rex until the owner comes home. I am beyond grateful since my 3 cats will make mincemeat out of Rex.

I later discover that Rex just had hip replacement surgery and thus the stitches. He sure put miles on those 3 paws though! It didn’t inhibit the little guy at all. I decided to stop over that evening and check on Rex. While talking to the owner, Rex escaped again. Smart little guy (not the owner)! Rest assured that sweet, precious Rex is fine and confined – for now anyway! He’ll be good as new in no time.

So this missive serves as a gently reminder to watch carefully over your pets (mostly so I don’t have too because I assure you, they all find their way to ME…even birds!)

No comments: