Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mourning Dove

Most sunny mornings you will find my cats on my enclosed patio staring at and chatter at the mourning doves. The doves tend to peck and eat some of the pea gravel around the pathway outside. The gravel aids in their digestions – something you probably don’t care to know but something that I felt compelled to share. (I learned this after a Google search – so deal.)

Imagine my surprise to come home to an injured dove in my garage. As I stand there trying to figure out what to do, I notice the feral stray cat coming under the fence for a better view. (As I later relay the story to my friend, she says, "so you’re talking about the one-eyed cat going after the hobbled bird? A lot goes on in your yard!") As it turns out, the bird is "hobbled." It can’t fly or walk. It just sort of flips and flops to get any distance. It’s really sad. Oh, and yes, the feral stray is a one-eyed cat. Originally, I named her Maya, and combining that with the one-eyed fabled Cyclopes, she is now referred to, lovingly, as Myclopse.

I naturally go into my I-Must-Save-Any-Animal (or Bird)-That-Crosses-My-Path Mode. Luckily I’ve got garden gloves and a spare carrier in the garage. I toss on the gloves and ever so gently stroke the back of the neck of the dove. It’s really not sure it likes me but it’s also fairly calm. I carefully cup my hands around her/him making sure to fold the wings gently against her/his body in natural form. I place her in the carrier and lock the door. Now what?

I have absolutely NO IDEA!

I call my vet and get a few numbers of people, aviaries etc., that should be able to help me. Nope. They are either very far away from my home, or about to close for the day. My friend suggests I leave it alone for the night and if it survives, deal with it tomorrow.

Hello? Do you even know me? It’s not like I’m going to be able to sleep. What if the little dove is suffering? And then it hits me. A few years ago I was told that the emergency vet would help with a Good Samaritan rescue.

I load the dove in the SUV and we head to the Emergency Vet Clinic. I call them on the way to let them know we’re coming. No problem. Thank God!

I end up completing a Good Samaritan form, which basically says they will do what they can for the animal (bird), free of charge (but excluding X-rays which I think is pretty crappy!) I leave a donation and tell them I do NOT want to know the outcome. I know what you are thinking. I thought it too. It’s true. If the bird cannot be saved and is suffering they will euthanize it. I’m better with that than letting it suffer.

I don’t believe that birds should be kept as caged pets. They were meant to fly and be free. If the dove survives, they will return it to its original location. I give them my address. I honestly have no idea if the dove survived or not. I feel I did the best I could under the circumstances. I cannot imagine having a job where you hold life and death in your hands. I couldn’t fix the bird. I could only rescue it and take it to people with a far greater gift than I have.

A singing bird in an open cage
Who will only fly - only fly for freedom…
Walk on - walk onStay safe tonight…
(Lyrics by U2/Walk On)

No comments: