Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I Bowl Granny-style

One of the new trends in sports games is to add "human factors" and "personalities" to the players on your squad. Morale ratings, happiness ratings, and other similar criteria are the norm in most sports franchises. Some games do this very well, like MVP Baseball and Football Manager. Others, like NFL Head Coach and Blitz, eh, not so good.

MLB 2K7 has similar factors included in its package. I started my Pirates franchise last night, and wouldn't you know it, every single one of my players had some kind of concern with team chemistry, and a few had a concern with their role on the squad. Of course, I immediately decided it was time for a team meeting. I had several options, running the gamut from chewing them out, to giving them the "win one for the Gipper" routine, to basically a group hug. Being the team's new skipper, I didn't want to come on too strong. So, when I saw my last option, I knew it was the perfect choice… Take the team bowling! Yes, right there among my potential motivational speeches was the option to roll a game at the local alley! So, to build that ever-important team camaraderie, we went on a trip. The players loved it. Every single player commented on how much they enjoyed it, or on the fact that I bowled "granny-style," and each player's morale went up by at least 3 points. Ironically, they still had the same concerns about team chemistry, even after the team-building outing. I guess I have more bowling trips in my future. Or, if I'm lucky, I'll get new options, like taking the boys out for ice cream after our first win, or hosting a euchre tournament...

No comments: