Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Quest Begins

I've decided to splurge on myself with my annual salary bonus, which is a rare event. After months of gathering intel on the "next generation" video gaming options, I'm opting to purchase an Xbox 360 Elite. It may not be the best bang for my buck, but I want the built-in HDMI connection for my TV and the larger hard drive; plus, black goes better with the living room furniture!

The quest begins for me to actually find one. After seeing store shelves lined for months with Xbox 360 Premium's and PS3's, with cash in hand I can't seem to find the one I want. I may have to order one, but I'm willing to wait, if need be.

My shopping list consists of:

Xbox 360 Elite Wireless Network Adapter
2 additional wireless controllers
Warranty (the 360 has not turned out to be the most reliable product on the market)
Fuzion Frenzy 2
MLB 2K7
FIFA or WE
Gold Xbox Live

Don’t laugh at Fuzion Frenzy. That's a game the kids and I have spent many hours playing together over the years, so it's a sentimental purchase. My total bill after taxes will approach $1000, although I am going to mitigate that a bit by trading in some stuff.

I remember years ago Paul Kelly, formerly of the infamous Sportsreviewers site and currently a regular poster at Digital Sportspage, chronicled his experiences with his new DreamCast. I hope to provide similar coverage, from the out-of-the-box experience to some game impressions. Hopefully, I'll be in next-gen wonderland by the weekend!

No comments: