Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Trek To Tremont Is A Trip To Be Treasured

My friend had never been to Cleveland’s Tremont Neighborhood. (Yes, the place where the Christmas Story house is…and so much more)! So as a friend, I felt it my absolute duty and sheer pleasure to treat my dear friend to an auspicious day! (Plus my comrade turned me on to Don Drumms so, this was the least I could do!)

I had our day all planned out, well in advance, because whenever we get together, it goes by quickly. Too quickly. Like a blink! But it’s always fun, there’s always wine, and we always laugh.

We chose
La Tortilla Feliz for our leisurely lunch and respite. We loved it! For mouth watering authentic South American dining, you can’t beat it. It’s bright and festive inside, service is fast and friendly and, all the tastes burst and blend in your mouth in zesty harmony. Let me stress that the salsa, made with cilantro, is heavenly. Start with that and the empanada’s – we only ordered two but should have ordered at least six! We tried some Chilean wines that were excellent as well, and then moved on to our main courses. The menu changes frequently as the first time I was there I ordered a scrumptious vegetarian meal with basil, spinach and cheese. It was not available this trek but I had Pollo Migado which is a “garlic and parsley seasoned chicken breast, breaded and sautéed; with re-fried beans and saffron rice. (Talk about “getting your grub on!”) It was “de-lish!” My friend chose Ejotes Empanizados which is a “Spanish cheese croquette wrapped in green beans, egg battered and lightly pan friend; also served with re-fried beans and saffron rice. It was “incredible!” If South American isn’t quite up your alley, two very popular restaurants in this area are Fat Cats and Parallax.

Now let’s visit a few of my favorite
Tremont Galleries!

For unique, funky, beautifully crafted and exquisitely designed jewelry, visit
Eye Candy. Here you also find glass, paintings, sculptures, pottery and ceramics of immeasurable beauty. The owner and jewelry artisan/metalsmith is Rita Telaak. Her creations are impressive and amazing. Let me tell you, I trekked down to her gallery more times than I care to admit with my eye on a very particular and absolutely indescribable-and-impossible-to-replicate pair of earrings. While I’m sure, with the time and attention to detail she bestowed upon them, that they were well worth the lofty price, I couldn’t talk myself into it at the time. On what was probably my 10th trip back to Eye Candy, I came up speechless. My eyes were spinning and spanning the gallery. I was getting dizzy, and my mind was trippin’ because MY earrings were… GONE! (She who hesitates…)

Therefore, when I found my second favorite pair (nothing like the original I’m sorry to say but extremely cool nonetheless), I learned my lesson well and promptly purchased them – no questions asked. I hope whoever paid the price for the original earrings I adored, is as happy with them as I would have been. (It was a “must have” moment and I blew it big time!) I’ve been kicking myself ever since. But not today. Today I did everything right.

Next up, the
Banyan Tree. A perfect place to enhance your home décor or update your wardrobe with New York City style. You’ll find accessories, furniture, rugs, serving ware glassware and barware and even some conversation pieces, among other cool and upscale items. It’s trendy and hip and once again, I didn’t leave empty handed. I always find something here for my friends (and myself).

Next stop, Gingko Boutique (front of store) and Robins Egg Paperie (back of store). Unfortunately they do not yet have a website and I’m thinking I need to talk to them about that! (And I’ll be seeing them on the next art hop!) This is also one of my favorite boutiques in Tremont. It’s where I found two more “must haves” – an open weave lightweight poncho that feels like suede, and a pair of black feather earrings. You will also find really fun beaded bookmarkers that make excellent gifts for teachers and avid readers of all ages (I have the zebra beaded one). Other treasures include, scarves, purses, works by various artist –(I picked up a piece by Steve Torkar – he’ll be at Gingko’s on May 11th, BTW – after 6PM) for the art hop)-, pendants, bracelets, fun rings, bath bombs, candles, vintage clothing and other tiny treasures tucked throughout. Say hello to Melanie when you get there. She's been so helpful with many of my purchases!

At Robin’s Egg Paperie, you’ll find just the right card for just the right person . Don't forget– the devil is in the details - and this holds true with both their visual and tactile paper products. They also have some really cool magnets complete with fun, little, sassy comments – I like to pick one out for each of my friends (and one for myself, of course)!

Tremont is a secret treasure and guilty pleasure. Shhhhhhhhhh – don’t tell anyone!

Finally, I have to give it up to
Yaeger’s, a jeweler in Westlake on Detroit Road. Thanks to them (and my friend “T” for the need to go there in the first place) for turning me onto Pianegonda!
I found my treasure piece (another “must have” moment”) and said, “It’s so ME!” The woman at Yaeger’s beamed in agreement and said that Pianegonda’s slogan is, “It’s so YOU!” How cool is that?

In case I forgot to mention it, I have great, really great friends!! So thanks to all of you!

My favorite quotes/lyrics this week are:

“Statistics never lie but liars use statistics” (Various Mathematicians)

“Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same…” (The Fray/All at Once)

“Can I handle the seasons of my life?” (Stevie Nicks/Landslide)

No comments: