Sunday, April 22, 2007

I Like The Weather

If you think the Himalayans are people who ride yaks in the mountain range along the border between India and Tibet, you would be right…but wrong as far as this missive goes. The Himalayans are also a very cool band whose lead singer (pre-Counting Crows days), Adam Duritz can do no wrong. Now, most CC fans know all this but I am stating the obvious because there are a few of my readers (how the heck are you my friends and/or family? Sometimes I really wonder – we’re so freakin’ different - but that's cool) who (sadly) won’t know that (but they do now).

Now, let’s be honest. I am, by all accounts, the last person who should do a review of The Himalayan’s CD entitled
She Likes the Weather. Adam could sing Row Row Row Your Boat and it would not only (as Kevin said in his intro post of me) “tickle my fancy,” but I’d buy it off iTunes, put it on my iPod, burn it to a CD so I could play it in my car, and force all my friends and/or family to listen to it and dig it. (And, due to my OCD, I would hit the "repeat track" button.) That being said, and not that you wouldn’t anyway, but you just have to take the rest of what I say here with a grain of salt. I’m still going to “put it out there” because 1) I can 2) it’s free and 3) There’s nothing stopping me. So, without further adieu….

Adding She Likes The Weather to my collection is almost as good as getting my hands on CC bootleg! After all, this music is a decade old. I’d heard about it, bid on it, traded for it, lost it and was never fortunate enough to own it again. That all changed when
Tyrannosaurus Records decided to re-master and re-release it! Oh yeah, baby. Let me say, first of all, this was the best $10.00 (for 17 songs mind you) that I ever spent. This is a “must have” CD (and I know I tend to have quite a few “must have” moments but, just go with it)!

The Himalayans also includes Dan Jewitt, Dave Janusko, Chris Roldan and Marty Jones (yes, THAT Marty Jones, the subject matter of
Counting Crows first hit single, Mr. Jones – but you knew that!)

Just to give you a little taste of lyrical genius, the CD starts with what is probably my favorite song (like you couldn’t guess that by the title alone),
Jaded.

We break down in different combinations
We spin around in smaller constellations
Took a ride on the love wheel
Scary, scary go-round and around…
Jaded. Faded.
I don’t want to be afraid
Jaded. I hate it.

Part of the thrill of seeing Counting Crows is you never know which song, what version of it or alt lyrics Adam will bring to the stage. So it was another treat to hear the original Himalayan's version of Round Here…

Round here we’re cool as kittens
Out there the dogs they cry

Straight from the liner notes of the CD, referring yet again to Round Here, “The Himalayans use the bass guitar to anchor the song, while the Crows use the rhythm guitar.” You’ve got to
hear it.

My only complaint (and it’s not a big complaint and mostly has to do with the fact that I’m lazy) is that the lyrics to all these great songs were not included with the liner notes. Then again, the CD was only $10.00. I bought one for me and one for my friend (yes, you’ll be getting it tomorrow “JC.”) Be sure to read the liner notes - they're amusing and insightful.

My other favorites include Diamonds and Babies and Cars, Save My Life and 99 Days. OK – OK – I wont’ acknowledge every song but I’ve got to rave about the beautiful
Floating Over You:

Just slightly out of order hanging on the fringe of daylights…
Every night I’m floating over you my love

Finally, from the title track:

She planted flowers in her basement
So she has a little color when the sky runs low…
She likes the weather today.

She Likes The Weather.
I like the weather. I’m betting you’ll like it too.

No comments: