Sunday, April 15, 2007

Let Go...

Easier said than done! I am a creature of habit. Life just gets so hectic and my routine helps keep me sane and gives me some (albeit false) semblance of balance. I’m wound just a little too tightly and I like to pretend I have more control over things than I actually do. I realize that I need to be more spontaneous and “go with the flow.”

I need to learn how to just “let go.”

The unpredictable Ohio weather (dumping roughly 30 inches of snow over the course of 3 days) seriously messed up my life – social, familial, and habitual. Basically it took my ‘routine’ and flipped it on its ear while laughing at me and daring me to “let go” of my perceived control over my life. (It’s partly to blame for my 4 pound weight loss and subsequent 2 pound weight gain…partly. The potato chips did me in. Can you eat just one? Five? Don’t even get me started on how they “settle” in the bottom of the bag!) But I digress. There was nothing I could do about the weather, or the wrench it threw into the works. All I could do was try to “let go.”

That seems easy enough.

Sometimes letting go is more difficult. When the Cleveland Indian’s home opener game was ‘called’ due to inclement weather, when just ONE MORE PITCH would have deemed the Indian’s victorious, we “let go” alright. We “let go” with a few shrieks, several gasps, and let’s be honest, a couple “choice” words not suitable for this site. “Let go” has so many interpretations.

Sometimes the ability to “let go” is even more difficult than one can imagine. My co-worker’s mom passed away last week. One of the things someone said to her was, “Let Go. Let God.”

So after weathering the weather, a wake, various worries and woes, I caught up with everything and everyone this weekend. It felt good to bust out of that routine and just ‘let go.’ I spent one evening cuddled up with the cats (I have 3), a cup of tea, and the latest edition of The New Yorker Magazine (
http://www.newyorker.com/). I dig it. I love a lazy night – they are so few and far between – it’s a precious treat. I later caught up on e-mails, blogs, webzines, and some cool new music too. (Yes, I am a huge geek.)

Best of all, I caught up with an old friend who I met at my “real job” years and years (and years) ago. We each “let go” of our responsibilities for one day so we could hang out. Our day consisted of talking, walking, shopping and eating! We met at a trendy boutique in Westlake called, oddly enough, Stein Mart. While I would normally suggest you avoid any place with the word ‘mart’ in it (i.e. K-Mart , Wal-Mart), this place defies the norm.

As far as women’s clothing, prices and styles range anywhere from very reasonable to occasionally jaw-dropping. Men’s clothing will have the same effect. We did a little damage but I had a gift certificate so, it doesn’t count. It’s just a cool little, trendy treasure of a place. I’ve yet to leave there empty handed. In fact, I left there with a steal! Check it out: I found a very funky black leather and mesh jacket. It had my name all over it along with a price tag of $299.00. (I warned you about the ‘jaw-dropping’)! Stick with me – that was the ‘original’ price. Today’s price was $99.00. That seemed pretty reasonable until I got in line, and it scanned for…wait for it…$49.99. I had a $50.00 gift certificate! I was positively giddy! (Oh, I should mention that I don’t do giddy. I do dark, dank, silly, happy, funky, etc., occasionally twisted, and I may have managed smug once, but never giddy.)

I promise to “let go” of giddy…tomorrow. (You can check this place out at
http://www.steinmart.com/)

For lunch, we hit the RRBC – Rocky River Brewing Company (rumor has it that former Indian’s pitcher Charlie Nagy was once a co-owner). We love this place. It’s always a good time however, the best time to visit the RRBC is on a Friday or Saturday night (June ~ September), outside on their patio, while a local band plays! That’s when you know it’s summer in the city once again! Aside from brewing their own beer (golden ales, wheat beers, heavy ales, dark ales, seasonal brews, amber ales and pales ales…say that 3 times fast), they have a mouth-watering menu. My friend recommends the Thai Chicken Salad and Blackened Salmon Salad but I love the Pesto Chicken Sandwich or Blackened Chicken Pasta. For an appetizer, if you really want to “let go,” try the Buffalo Egg Rolls! You can check it out for yourself at:
http://www.rockyriverbrewco.com/the_food/index.html

Anyways, if you’re a creature of habit, make a plan to “let go.” If while you read this, you thought about a friend or specials someone, give them a call and invite them to “let go” with you. You’ll be glad you did.

No comments: