Friday, April 13, 2007

Prima Donna

In OOTP, players have different moods ("morale"). I traded for a young left-handed pitcher earlier in the year in my online league. He had a 3.60 ERA, a winning record, and other favorable stats as a 21-year-old in the big leagues last season. I bring him over to my team, which plays in more of a hitter's park, but not too bad. He's 5-8 this year with a 3.98. That's pretty solid for a 22-year-old in his second year in "the show." However, I noticed the other day that his "mood" was a frowny face. I went to see why, and it said that he wanted to be demoted to the bullpen!

Now that's a first. Since when do successful young pitchers just blossoming into their careers want a demotion?! The guy has good numbers, and a nine-out-of-ten endurance rating. I'm counting on him to be a mainstay in the rotation for many years to come! He has a big contract coming to him! Yet, he'll only be happy if I give him a less important role not suited for him.

No wonder we can't relate to pro athletes nowadays...

In all seriousness, I do love this aspect of OOTP. It's cool that a player's mood has an impact on performance and team chemistry. Even though this case doesn't seem to make sense, does it always make sense in the real world? Athletes are a different breed, both physically and mentally. I'll be kind and call most of them "quirky." Maybe this game is genius for including outlandish stuff like this. Or, maybe it needs a patch! Regardless, this is just a very small example of the depth of this game.

I'm no where near done reviewing it yet, but if you want to know what I think, I think this is the best text sim baseball game ever made, and maybe the best baseball game ever made, period. (At least for those who don't mind putting down the joysticks and putting on their thinking caps.)

No comments: