Thursday, March 22, 2007

Then and Now

Hello… Hello… Is this thing on?

Where I was a almost a year ago:
I've long felt that in some way I want to express myself in writing - my passions, interests, and opinions. My first venture into this hobby came in the form of writing about video games, which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, with my slightly obsessive-compulsive behavior, I tended to turn each review from an entertaining endeavor into a term paper, which wore thin after a couple of years. Next came this blog; but the lack of structure has limited my desire to post items regularly. After much deliberation, I think I may have found my niche (for the moment, anyway).I'm a big soccer fan. Soccer in the states has grown steadily over the last 10 years, but it just doesn't capture the American public like the other "big three" sports. This is evident based on the lack of "fan" coverage for our domestic league, the MLS. There are few - if any - credible "fansites" associated with MLS coverage. My hope is to add one to this small group. I'm not sure in which forum my soccer voice will appear, but I'm currently investigating my options. For ease of use, I may stay with the blog format. However, I've been interested in the challenge of creating and running my own site for years, so I'm leaning towards that option. I've actually contacted the MLS about permission to use their name and logos on my fan site, and I'm awaiting reply. Regardless, this next chapter in my life as a hobbyist writer will cover soccer in the United States.I've already got some content ready. For the time being, I'll post it here, and use this as a "trial period" to polish my skills. When I figure out all of the particulars of running my own site, then I'll launch "officially." Hopefully, I'll connect with other like-minded fans, and start a grassroots effort to cover "the beautiful game" in the context of the United States, which most Americans and the rest of the world tend to ignore.

Where I am now:
I've actually accomplished one of my goals, at least on a small scale. I'm now a part-time reviewer for Gameshark.com. The assignments will be few and far between, and I'm definitely the "low man on the totem pole," but hey, I'm actually writing professionally. It feels good. So good, in fact, that I've decided to re-open the Gut. I really do enjoy sharing my thoughts and opinions on anything and everything, even if no one is listening. Heck, I can't even get my wife to read this stuff! Too bad; it's all about me, baby!

What happened to the soccer website idea?
The prototype is done. The reason I never launched it is that I knew I wouldn't ascribe to the standards I had set for myself. Plus, I was really burned out on soccer after the fiasco that was the U.S. Men's National Team in the World Cup. I may launch my own site someday. Just not today. The blog and my other gig will suffice for now. That said, I can guarantee that soccer will be one of the subjects upon which I spew my opinions. I love it too much not to (how's that for "professional" grammar!). And, for the record, the MLS never replied to me. Way to support your biggest fans, MLS.

As before, I'll also be writing about other major sports, family life, movies, music, technology, video games, and anything else that interests me or sets me off. I may very well have another post tomorrow, depending on how my Ohio State Buckeyes fare against Tennessee tonight! On a sort-of-related note (meaning my favorite basketball teams), I'm glad somebody finally woke LeBron up...

5 comments:

Adam Simpson said...

I'm going to bug the life out of you for that guest column when the football site kicks off. Incidentally - and I don't expect you to believe this - that pun was accidental, and I'm not proud.

Anyway...I've been dropping by semi-regularly throughout the fallow period, so it's nice to have something new to look at. Keep up the good work, ace...

Kevin said...

Bug nothing! The second it hits my inbox, it's posted, my friend!

If you ever want to contribute regularly, just say the word, and I'll give you editor access. I've got another friend who wants to do movie/music reviews, so the more the merrier in terms of contributors!

Kevin

Kevin said...

Oh... forgive me for reading too fast. As soon as I launch my website, you're an editor.

If you wanted to post something here, that door is always open. I think I'll just link up the "Sound of Simpson" each time you post a match report over there!

Do you think if I keep adding comments, people will think this is popular? :-)

Unknown said...

Good luck Kevin. Looking forward to some good writing. Let me know if you need any help with the web site.

Kevin said...

Thanks, Jason. Will do!