Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Freelance Life

Ah, the dream life. Getting paid to play and write about games. Sounds glamorous, doesn't it? Who wouldn't want a career like that, as opposed to schlepping for the "man" 9-to-5? I often wondered that, but after being exposed to this on at least a small scale, I thought I'd share with you what it's really like, at least so far.

I'll be getting my first check shortly. My contribution: one article and two reviews. My pay: $50 per contribution, plus the games are free. Granted, the "professionals" undoubtedly make more than that, but even at $250 per contribution (a total guess on my part), spread out over multiple publications, it would take at least 10 reviews a month to make a starting teacher's salary (in most places). And, to do it right, it takes probably an average of 15 hours per game or so, at least. That's full-time hours already. Plus, at least in my case, I get assigned games; I don't get to choose them. I have to learn to play stuff that I'd never pick up at the store, and be objective and thorough about it. Also consider that freelance work isn't guaranteed or regular, the workload could get very light at times, and then double or more around the holidays. To make a living freelancing is hard work for comparably little pay. It really is a labor of love. Or, it could explain why there are so many crappy reviews on the 'net and in magazines!

I read in Electronic Gaming Monthly that the folks who write strategy guides make about $10,000 per book. They have to hole themselves up for hours playing the same game, trying to work through cheats, shortcuts, and the best strategies. I believe it takes something like 2-3 months to complete a guide. That has to get monotonous, and it must take incredible discipline. In reality, it turns gaming into "work." Ironically, most of us game to get away from doing work!

My guess is that many reviewers are like me. They have regular employment, and supplement their income with their passion for gaming and writing. Please don't read this as me complaining. I love the opportunity, and I'm thankful to have it! In reality, though, I have the best of both worlds. I make very good money in my employment, and get paid to have a little fun on the side. I'm just glad I don't have the pressure of making a living from gaming. My kids need to eat, and I'm not that good!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I could never review games for a living. The thought of playing a game that I don't enjoy in a genre I don't like would be torture for me. Kevin, I was jealous of your situation until you had to review that RPG - I'd take mowing lawns over that :)

I read that EGM article too and intially thought that the $10,000 per guide was a lot of money until I thought about the time and effort put into each guide (most of them). One guide every 3 months would only make you $40k a year. I would think that the sports games guides would be easier to write than an RPG action/adventure game though.

Kevin said...

Hey Jason,

Actually, it was a turn-based strategy game. When it gets posted, I'll let you know, because it's a classic example of having to play games as "work." MVP was a blast, Romance of the Three Kingdoms - not so much!

After reading a few of those "strategy guides" for sports games, I'd say those writers only spent a week on them! :-)

Kellie said...

Kevin,

I'd take playing video games I don't enjoy (for profit) over mowing the lawn (for free) any day!!! I have a lawn service!!! I probably should (maybe not)have mentioned that in my first blog! I'm so not green!! I'm so not mowing the lawn...I'm so not giving up my SUV...I'm so stubborn!!!! I have so much to learn and change!!! Your gig is cool - enjoy...You've 'earned' it.

K