Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ghost in the Stall

Long time readers of this blog - that would be me, and maybe one other person - may recall some of the harrowing restroom experiences I've endured since changing jobs and relocating to the "new" building. I had one such experience today.

My "normal" restroom was out of commission, due to janitorial personnel allegedly cleaning my satellite office. I went to the alternative establishment, next to the call center, and subsequently subject to much more traffic, unfortunately of the regenerate male youth archetype. Anyway, it was early in the morning, so it wasn't very crowded. And, I was alone in the restroom; or so I thought.

As I undertook my daily business, the toilet in the stall next to mine flushed. And flushed again. And flushed again. And again. It probably flushed fifteen times in the five minutes I occupied the adjacent facility. I pondered what situation could require fifteen flushes. Was there someone in there with major bowel problems? Was someone trying to discard evidence of some sort? Was the deposit stuck to the container? It would be improper to inquire as to the situation next door, so I waited a bit. After exiting my new field office, I observed that the door was ajar! The toilet - one with one of those infrared sensors - was flushing all by itself, with no one or no thing in there, at least visible to the naked eye. I can only conclude that the ghost of "Turd Ferguson" (bonus points to those that can recall my source for that name) was having a difficult time managing the toilet. At least it happens to those in the netherworlds, too...

No comments: