Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Grammys

I have been around for 46, almost 47 years of the Grammys' existence. I can say with great enthusiasm and passion that music makes me who I am, what I am and how I live. I am not a musician, nor do I pretend to be. I am, like you, just a fan of great music. Tonight, the world of music will convene en mass to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Grammy; that little statue that means the most to an artist.

My friend Trixxxie Rix will not be in attendance this year. I could still kick myself in the ass as she asked me a few years back if I wanted to go with her to the Grammys. I could not fit it into my schedule and get the time off of work since at that time, I worked for Satan. More blogs to follow about that damn nightmare. Any who, she will be at home, like I, watching from a far instead of sunny LA. Trixxxie is in the mic biz and gets some perks from her work with respect to going to concerts, awards shows and the like. She has good street cred with the artists, they dig her. I was with her at the Billy Joel gig here in C-Town this summer and was in awe of her and how she rep'ed her company, and how she just smoothly went about her business. I dig her.

I suppose we both won't get to see Amy Winehouse. I have not one freaking clue as to why this chick fascinates me so damn much. It could be her tattoos, mostly cuz they are ole school and not that crap that the so called tattoo artists of today slap on you and stick a needle of ink to. She has them in good spots, good shading and they look like they just belong there. She is enjoying her skin while she is in it for sure. She also is apparently enjoying the hooch as well. She keeps a bottle handy as one line claims. My question is; just who is Mr. Hathaway? It appears from her words in "Rehab" that Mr. Hathaway just might have all of the answers to her troubles and woes. I sure as hell wish I knew Mr. Hathaway when I was falling down drunk and puking all over myself.

Whether or not we attend this most celebrated event of honoring those musicians and singers, composers, arrangers or the like, we still get to see and hear them in our living rooms tonight. Thanks to Santa Claus, I get to now watch in awe on an LCD Digital TV, or whatever it is. Hearing the melodic tones of Ms Winehouse come through my surround sound will be just what I need to make the ceremonies complete. Would I rather be sitting in the audience with Trixxxie, hell yes, but this will have to do for now. I will still have the music in me. I hope that it is in everyone. Celebrating music and letting it enrich our lives is something that a lot of us probably do on a daily basis. Music is everywhere and we rely on it as much as we do food and water. The lyrics literally speak to us, not at us. Words originating on paper, or a pizza box, coming through your speakers, and smacking you in your mind, your soul, making your heart sing a long.

Happy Birthday, Grammys. Oh, and Ms. Winehouse, if I may, you speak of 70 days, here in the U.S. it is 90 days, 90 meetings. And Mr. Hathaway does not exist if you wish to get clean and sober; it is Dr. Bob and Bill W. And if I may return the favor of saying something about "rehab", it is this; Rehab is for quitters. Get it? I knew that you would. Good luck baby, in all of this.

2 comments:

KAT said...

Nice first post - looking forward to many more.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Hathaway is the musician Donny Hathaway!