Monday, May 29, 2006

Ready to Go

I know the last two opponents for the U.S. Men's National Team were ranked in the bottom third of the FIFA top 100, but I'm pleased to get two relatively easy results to gain some momentum prior to heading overseas.

The U.S. absolutely dominated the first half against an over-matched Latvia squad, especially in the midfield. Only some great goalkeeping held the U.S. to only one tally in the first stanza. I was very impressed with how left back Eddie Lewis and right back Steve Cherundolo were able to get forward, gain possession, and send multiple good balls into the box on the attack. Cherundolo lacks Hejduk's stamina, pace, and endurance, but he makes up for it with better possession and service. Quite honestly, I was so excited to see a healthy Bocanegra against Venezuela, I'd temporarily forgotten about Lewis. I still think Boca is the better option, because he plays better defense, and he's more of a threat on set pieces. Lewis is no slouch, though, and offers a little more with his offensive abilities.

I absolutely love McBride. I don't understand why he doesn't wear the captain's arm band. Is there any harder worker, or tougher player, on the U.S. squad? He shows up every match, and always gives maximum effort. How about heading in the only goal, with that golf-ball sized welt on his forehead? Yeah, I know lots of guys play hurt, but that shot had to sting! He's always a threat, mostly in the air, but he can also play a clever ball to a teammate to set up a shot as well. There was some good chemistry between him and Eddie Johnson, who also looked consistent and effective for the majority of the match, and kept his composure despite several poor offsides calls and non-calls in the box. He can be dangerous, and he could be the "breakthrough" player for the U.S. in Germany, if they are to make a run.

The U.S. was a bit lackluster in the second half, as it was apparent that fatigue was catching up with them. As I predicted, Convey substituted O'Brien for the last 30 minutes of the match or so, and brought some life to the squad with his pace and excellent footwork. As usual, Keller stepped up when he needed to, and earned another clean sheet.

Although I don't think the U.S. is quite hitting on all cylinders, they've shown improvement with each match. It will take maximum effort, peak form, and a little luck, but I really think they can get out of their Group. The Czechs are hurting as well, and I've always felt that Italy is a bit overrated. A result against Ghana is an absolute must, but I believe the U.S. will either split against the Czechs and Italy, or win one and tie the other. Yes, I'm optimistic, but hey, it would stink to be pessimistic, since the World's most prestigious competition only comes once every four years!

No comments: