Monday, May 15, 2006

My Niche

I've long felt that in some way I want to express myself in writing - my passions, interests, and opinions. My first venture into this hobby came in the form of writing about video games, which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, with my slightly obsessive-compulsive behavior, I tended to turn each review from an entertaining endeavor into a term paper, which wore thin after a couple of years. Next came this blog; but the lack of structure has limited my desire to post items regularly. After much deliberation, I think I may have found my niche (for the moment, anyway).

I'm a big soccer fan. Soccer in the states has grown steadily over the last 10 years, but it just doesn't capture the American public like the other "big three" sports. This is evident based on the lack of "fan" coverage for our domestic league, the MLS. There are few - if any - credible "fansites" associated with MLS coverage. My hope is to add one to this small group. I'm not sure in which forum my soccer voice will appear, but I'm currently investigating my options. For ease of use, I may stay with the blog format. However, I've been interested in the challenge of creating and running my own site for years, so I'm leaning towards that option. I've actually contacted the MLS about permission to use their name and logos on my fan site, and I'm awaiting reply. Regardless, this next chapter in my life as a hobbyist writer will cover soccer in the United States.

I've already got some content ready. For the time being, I'll post it here, and use this as a "trial period" to polish my skills. When I figure out all of the particulars of running my own site, then I'll launch "officially." Hopefully, I'll connect with other like-minded fans, and start a grassroots effort to cover "the beautiful game" in the context of the United States, which most Americans and the rest of the world tend to ignore.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

jcalvert said...

Kevin, great idea to do a MLS fan site (with lost of US National team coverage). I look forward to seeing what you have to say, and your opinions on our chance of making it past the open stages of WC 06.