Sunday, June 15, 2008

Friend and Art Festivals = Summer Fun

One of my favorite things to do in the summer is hit as many art festivals as possible. June seems to be the perfect month for that.

It started a couple weeks ago in Little Italy. It was hot (90+ degrees – no exaggeration), windy as hell (my hair had seen better days), but also a very fun time. I was fortunate enough to find my red coral Buddha (which I passed up a couple years ago – but not this time) at Xen Gallery. Cool place. Another treasure, a very unique silver metal star, twisted at each point, with a jewel in the center, was purchased at Juma Gallery. This is probably my favorite place. Dinner at Valerio’s with a bottle of Pinot Grigio was excellent. Big thanks to my friends for that perfect night – we laughed a lot during dinner and we all needed that more than anything else.

This weekend was the annual art festival at Crocker Park. They blocked off the main thoroughfare so each side of the street was lined with tents for each artist. There were approximately130 artisans. Though rain threatened the day, not once did we need our umbrellas. Even more surprising, considering the forecast, temperatures were quite manageable and rather pleasant. The event began at 10:00 AM and we arrived at 9:30 AM - because we are smart and - we wanted "first dibs" - on anything and everything that caught our eye! We were able to walk the thoroughfare immediately. It wasn’t crowded at all – barely any patrons so early in the morning. (And this is just another reason why it's good to be a rule breaker in the land of rule makers!) By the time we left, both patronage and temperatures were heating up.

The artisans had many treasures to sell. Everything from jewelry, leather goods, mixed media, pottery and glass art to paintings, photographs, metal and whimsical pieces for home and garden. Though to many to mention by name, my favorite by far would be Glass Designs by David and Susan of Bay Village. I was at their kiosk for quite some time talking to the artist. He signed each piece I purchased. My little piece of art, “so the legend goes, helps channel positive energy (chi), good health and good fortune into the room.” We’ll see! I bought one for home and work - you can never have enough CHI!

I should have purchased the kaleidoscope too – it was over-the-edge cool. Their card says they specialize in flowers, kaleidoscopes and panels. The artist was also personable and had a few fun stories to share. No website listed so I’m thinking “ROAD TRIP!”

This weekend I’m taking a much-needed day off work to catch up with an amazing friend I made while working at the former gig. And I’ll be sharing lots of stories about the new gig – over wine! Soon after, we’ll be well on our way to do major damage at Standing Rock Gallery and Don Drumm’s Studio. I can’t wait.

Is it sickening to say I’ve already purchased some Christmas presents at these events?

______________________________________

Cool quote for today:

If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be daring, be just
- Anita Roddick

No comments: