Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Wii Are Family!

There's no doubt that the Nintendo Wii has been the big hit among the Christmas gifts. Everyone has played it, including my parents and my wife's parents, and universally they've all enjoyed it very much. What makes it so enticing is that the action on the screen truly feels like an extension of the movements you're performing with the remote, at least for most games that we've played. It's brilliant in its simplicity. It's the ultimate party game machine. And, it just feels family-friendly.

I've been gaming since I was about 7 years old, starting with the Atari 2600. Growing up, I played on the 2600, a Commodore 64, and a Tandy 1000, and I can count on one hand the number of times my mom played a video game with me. After playing Wii Sports with the kids, my mom is honestly thinking about buying one for her house, since she had so much fun with it (Dad did, too). After I told her how much it cost, she said "That's it? I was afraid it was going to be $400-$500!" No, mom, that's the other gaming machine…

Nintendo has out-foxed its competition, and struck a chord with just about everyone, based on the simplest of concepts: it's just darn fun!

No comments: